Friday, April 6, 2007

Play Ball

Every year I am reminded how lucky I am. You see, I am a UNC Tarheels basketball and Boston Red Sox fan, so virtually every year at least one of my teams is in the running for their respective championships. I can never ask more from sports than 2004, where my Sox won the World Series followed in April 2005 by UNC cutting down the nets and taking home the NCAA national championship.









I remembered how lucky I was roughly one week after UNC's monumental collapse in the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament to Georgetown in the Elite Eight. I remembered because after coming home from work and finally being able to turn on ESPN, always fearful that I would be reminded about THAT game, I saw it. The most holy of holy events for a sports fan unlucky enough to live outside his beloved team's network coverage - a Red Sox opening day game broadcast nationally.

And while the Sox lost to the Kansas City Royals in an extremely poor showing, it sure did not hurt as bad as UNC's 10-point-choke. Hey, there are still 161 more chances to grab a "W."

No comments: